Friday, December 12, 2008

Of Friends Parte Dos

This day's entry is close to the chest. It involves another work connection and includes two people this time around: Toan and Holly.

Toan was the first person I ever met at work, even before I started the job. I could instantly tell he was a good guy to be around- easygoing, mature and thoughtful. Over the next year and half we followed the Warriors and their playoff push and dished on video games. I remember the times we would take our lunch breaks in the back and Toan seemed to opportunistically ask me a lot of philosophy questions. He was good at asking me and following up on my replies. At first it sort of irritated me but it reminded me of all those times in college when we would talk about gnosticism, existentialism, and all of those questions about choice. It returned a feeling of familiarity and a sense of belonging that I missed since I moved back home.

As a person, Toan is someone I would consider the next closest thing to a big brother I have here. We have very similar interests and motivations and he challenges me in ways that I wish happened in college. He is definitely on my short-list
of brothers. This brings me to....

...Holly, Toan's girlfriend. Now, this girl is one of the sweetest ones out there. I recall Toan describing her to me and based on his character, I knew the girl in his life had to be someone special. Indeed she was! When I happened to mention my birthday to Toan last year, he told Holly and she wanted to help cook and host my birthday party. Considering I barely even knew her, I was completely surprised and humbled by her and Toan's kindness. She definitely did it up, entrees and cake. Since then, I've stayed over at their place and Holly has always cooked up some deliciousness, filled the air mattress for me and laughed at my corny jokes. Holly, I'm still not sure why you are so good to me but I am grateful for you trusting and welcoming me.

I cannot say enough about you two. I'm not so sure about the longevity of friendships these days but I do not worry about our relationship. You are tops in my book!




No comments: