Thursday, December 11, 2008

Seasoning

I'm thankful for the change in seasons. It makes me more prone to moodiness but at my core that is where I have always been most like myself. I feel crowded by myself because I let my unreleased thoughts keep me company like fog above the ground. It does not really hover, it is more like a settling mist that is waiting for the warmth to release it. In a way, thoughts are not distracting me; rather it is people and places of the day that interrupt me. This is not to sound like I do not care about coworkers and classmates (whom I love), but for a person who often wears his emotions on his sleeve, deliberately staying in the present thought keeps me going. Can you tell I am reading The Alchemist?

The season has a way of getting to us. There is a certain relevance that transports us back to a familiar emotion and hopefully a happy memory. This time around I am learning to appreciate the friendships I have made and developed (especially the friends made since I graduated). So for each day leading up to Christmas, I am posting about a friend/acquaintance that has done much for me.

I am going to start with Jackie Huynh. She is my supervisor at work but she is also a friend whom I care deeply for. She's stubborn as heck and incredibly independent but she's like a sister to me...the older sister I wish I grew up with. I like to think she laughs at my jokes and my aphoristic hoo-ha because they strike a chord with her, but maybe that's a result of her personality. She knows what it is like to be loved and gives back in kind. Sometimes I do not understand the form
this takes but like with any friendship we take a chance on, you have to embrace all of it if you want the most you can get. I am usually silent in my disagreements with her but like I said, it is not difficult to tell what I am feeling so I think she knows for the most part. And even if not, we can respect the privacy of each other's thoughts. I have known Jackie since early 2007 (which is not that long) but I have learned much about the kind of person she is, despite how little I really know about her in detail. I can see the goodness in her heart that I have found in few others. I am lucky to work with someone whom I can depend on. She is one of the reasons I enjoy doing what I do.



Time to get the ball rolling. See you tomorrow (today)!

No comments: