Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Of Friends Parte Seis

I just got back home from school. San Francisco is beautiful at this hour...the streets are murmuring, the neons are dancing, the bouncers are....big. Ha! One of the first things I did as I walked out of 180 New Montgomery was check the weather. 40 degrees F. I guess it's hard to judge when in the city. It's always a little bit warmer than home. I enjoy the late night walks along the streets. I like the sense of solitude in a metropolis...especially in the ones that do not sleep. You know there's always something going on but you're glad that you are enough removed from it to enjoy the hum of the distance.

This week goes out to Ramon Esquivel. We've worked together for about a year and he has become a fine friend. We're both drummers with similar tastes in music and their rhythms but more importantly Ramon stands out from many of the millenials, seduced by tech and the excesses of pop culture. Wait, that sounds like me. ;) But what I want to say about Ramon is that he reminds me of a younger Marcus. I'm glad that I can revisit and reframe many of my beliefs with him. It's the closest experience I've had so far when it comes to imagining what it would be like to go back in time and have a conversation with myself. Often times I want to just tell Ramon "don't do this" or "try going about this a certain way" but that's no way to be a true(r) friend. It's difficult for me to get over the pride. I want to let people know what's up- and I know that there needs to be lessons learned live.

Ramon's a guy I trust. He's become a sort of little brother to me and I'm humbled to have a friend that looks up to me as well. It gives me motivation to be a better person.




No comments: