Saturday, December 13, 2008

Of Friends Parte Tres

This entry is a bit of a twist.  It's about an old friend- in fact she's among the first friends I made in life and she's always been a close one as well: Bonnie Chen.  We grew up together and went through school all the way through high school.  We've always been around one another somehow.

Now, I have not seen much of Bonnie since we both went to college.  Although I would visit her school every so often (UCLA) considering it was only an hour away from Irvine, I regret not taking the opportunity to catch up more often.  In any case, Bonnie ranks high on my list when it comes to her thoughtfulness.  She would be one of the few to consistently remember my birthday and send that timely Christmas card.  I also love her handwriting.  It's art.  :)  She's also a bit of a jock, able to play all sports and excel at them.  That has always endeared me to her.  

In more recent years I'm glad that we have been able to reconnect on a more visceral level.  I have told Bonnie repeatedly that she cares too much...she lets it get to her...But you know what I think?  Ultimately I believe that is a product of being raised well.  She's emotionally invested and expects a lot because she strives to think the best of others, hoping that in turn the best will return back to her.  I'm in love with that idealism along with her but it sets us up for many more disappointments.  But I know Bonnie does not regret doing that because the conscience won't let that happen.  Although I do not know a whole lot about what is going on in your life, I'm still thankful that you are frank with yourself and that in the times you have confided in me, you have helped me become more honest with myself too, Bonnie.  My best!

  

No comments: